living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"And Others"

Two or three days ago, we celebrated the feast of St. Charles Lwanga. He was martyred in Uganda during the early days of Christianity there. I found out during the homily that Charles Lwanga was one of 20-odd martyrs in Uganda. For a while now, I have been contemplating the beauty of martyrdom. We all have to die some day. Out of love for my Savior doesn't seem a bad way to go. In fact, it sanctifies death. (Of course, we are called to live sanctified lives as well, and that is a good and holy thing.)

Hearing the story of St. Charles Lwanga gave me a new perspective. Twenty-odd people died for their faith, were canonized, and have a feast day -- but they are 20-odd nameless people. How awesome is that? It fits right in with my desire to have an unnamed bench or icon or stained glass window. I don't like the "Donated by..." signs on religious items. Nameless saints have kind of the same feel as anonymous donations. Here is an example for others to live by -- no need for credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment