living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Something Light-Hearted and Holy

For your amusement and my reprieve (that word is surprisingly hard to spell, or I am very tired), here is something light-hearted for today: an article on "The Wit and Humor of the Saints."

It has a good overarching message, but really I recommend it for the one-liners from holy men and women.  For example, my favorite:

When [St. Teresa of Avila] was asked to give her opinion on a memorandum written by Senor Salcedo, this was her comment: “Senor Salcedo never stops repeating through the whole of his pa­per, ‘as St. Paul says,’ ‘as the Holy Spirit says’; and then he ends by regretting that he has written nothing but nonsense. I am going to denounce him to the Inquisition.”




No comments:

Post a Comment