living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, June 20, 2014

Return of the Short Stories


I’m back!  At least one of my 3.14 loyal readers has noticed that I have been MIA lately… I’m touched!  Work and life have been full lately and blogging had to take the back burner.  And look -- I came back on a Friday, so you get seven short stories for the price of one.

--- 2 ---
Part of the craziness was a trip to New Orleans for work.  In spite of packed schedule, I had enough free time to wander the city a little in the evenings.  This meant eating a lot of New Orleans food, including beignets from Cafe du Monde.  We also got to see a man pull off an epic proposal, complete with a jazz band, a ton of family, and a personal singer.  (She said yes.)  And we visited a piano bar on Bourbon Street, a street that struck me as basically an attack on men.  An attack on men with fantastic live music coming out of nearly every bar.

We have a tomato.  It is green and growing a little bigger every day.  I am scared that a squirrel is going to steal it, and I get relieved every time I come outside and see it still there.  We have other blossoms, so it looks like we might be able to have more than one!  Between that and all the herbs I pick to go in basically everything, I think we can call this year's garden a success.  I do have a lot of sage, however, that we never use, because I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

I am currently reading The Kite Runner for a book club.  So far, it is a very good book -- but don’t believe the taglines that say, “It’s about two boys of different socio-economic groups growing up in Afghanistan.”  This is a bold-faced lie.  It is about a man coming to terms with his past in pre-war Afghanistan.  The book is also teaching me a lot.  The history of that part of the world is blurry at best for me, so this book, like Reading Lolita in Tehran, is enlightening me as to the historical, social, and political dimensions of a part of world I barely know.


Is there anyone who wants to adopt a puppy for me?  I found one at the Occoquan craft show.  It costs on $400 -- apparently it’s some sort of purebred something, with soft, long hair and tiny cute face and it stays small forever.  However, I am not allowed to get a dog unless the Captain gets deployed, and even then it’s supposed to be able to eat people.  So, if you want to adopt a puppy and then give me a key to your home so I can play with it whenever I want, just let me know!


Right now, I am facing a legal conundrum I have not faced before.  Some laws, most people basically obey and expect consequences if they don’t (don’t shoplift, for example).  Other laws, most people ignore and don’t expect consequences, expect for grievous violations (speed limits, for example).  But what do you do about the law that forbids drinking on the Metro when it is 97 degrees out and you are in an unairconditioned car?
A shout-out to my sister who landed herself a big-girl job!  Keep her in your prayers as she starts next week!


I have crazy Catholic/feminist/Beth things in the works.  Don’t be too disappointed by the slow come-back -- my crazy two weeks only end at 4:30 today!



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!*

*UPDATE:  Apparently Jennifer Fulwiller from Conversion Diary is out for the week, so the 7 Quick Takes linkup is happening at Team Whitaker this week.

4 comments:

  1. #3 Is wonderfully metaphorical. Also, I would love some sage (mostly if it is still alive/healthy when one of us visits the other). I have a recipe for this delicious sage-cranberry jelly that is perfect on turkey sandwiches. It's like Thanksgiving, but a little sweeter and lighter!
    #5 Me! Except, Paul won't let me have a dog, either :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the only person to make such a comment on #3. I didn't intend it that way, but I don't mind that it's there! Do you think sage would mail well? If not, remind me in September. I think it was still around that time last year.

      We need to work on these men and puppies.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for your tomato! I was watching Chopped and apparently sage goes very well with bacon in case you and the Captain are interested in that for breakfast.

    I read The Kite Runner earlier this year and it was good but the kind of book I wouldn't want to read again because it made me too upset and frustrated with the protagonist. I also found it helpful since I'm not a history buff and knew I needed to understand more of what was going on in Afghanistan. hope you enjoy it. Lastly, drink water! I support you, just look around for metro officers just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... I have been extremely pro-bacon lately. How did they use the sage with the bacon?

      I really like that The Kite Runner has such a flawed protagonist. That being said, I haven't finished yet. I am super-curious to see how Amir ends up.

      And yes, my plan is water, a wary eye, and maybe a few tears while convincing an officer that it's worse to have a girl passing out than a girl drinking water.

      Delete