living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Doing Things Differently

Remember how I mentioned parenthetically yesterday that right now I eat lots of calories since there is a little person on me for food?  Well, because of said tiny person, not only am I technically exempt from today's fast, but also, it would be a bad idea for me to keep a fast right now.  

Thus, I have to do Lent differently this year right from the start.  I am oddly aware of not fasting right now, which creates an Ash Wednesday mood by the lack of a lack.  I also have to be more intentional in undertaking a sacrifice today, when I can't simply fall back on what the Church asks of me.

The same can  be said of my Lent -- I can't just give up meat as I normally do, since through the generosity of friends and family, our refrigerator and freezer are full of meaty meals.  In the past, I've been able to take advantage of the simplicity of obedience to the Church.  This year, I will be blessed by the intentionality that can go hand in hand with creativity.

Praying for my 3.14 readers to have a blessed Ash Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment