living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Monday, April 13, 2015

Baby Carrots Are a Lie

I was horrified to find out recently that baby carrots are a lie.  They are not, in fact, just young carrots or carrots that grow smaller.  They are, in fact, shaved and shaped grown-up carrots.

No, they are not making baby carrots.
I was horrified and felt lied to when I read the summary of this article.  However, the first few paragraphs made me feel better.  Baby carrots are a solution to ugly produce, a problem that doesn't surprise me, but which I had not considered before reading about the waste our cosmetic shopping habits create.  Yay for farmer's markets, where "amorous carrots" might be appreciated!



Image by Dwight Sipler (originally posted to Flickr as carrots) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment