living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, September 4, 2015

Seven Things with Names


In some cultures, names are thought to give one great insight into the one being named.  While many in our culture want their names to express their selves (have you seen that Facebook “quiz” that splits names into blatantly false root words), I would argue that our names say more about the namer than the named.

And so, I thought, for today's quick takes, I would share seven of the names in our household, for your insight into my mind and the Captain’s:



  1. Elefantiles (Eh-lih-FAHN-tih-leez) the Elephant
  2. Elefantiles II  -- not pictured. (Both Elefantileses were hand-me-downs from the same family.)
  3. Dolly the Llama
  4. Cecil the Lion (yes, I went there)
  5. Speedy the Snail, Fastest of Snails.
  6. Flighty McFlyster
  7. Sister Mary Clara, FSGM (She came with the name and a vocation story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment