living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, March 28, 2014

Seven Interactive Short Stories

Well, only four of them are interactive.
But that's still a high percentage.


I am on a medication that makes me a little groggy when I first take it, so thoughts are not exactly free flowing right now.  Well, actually, they are, but they are way too deep and personal to become seven short stories, and I am having a hard time switching modes.  The Captain called this medication midi-chlorians, which apparently give one The Force.  I loved this idea, but he then ruined it by telling me that Star Wars fans don’t like midi-chlorians.

--- 2 ---
As I sit here slogging through my brain thinking, “Surely, Beth, there are things to write!” my eye catches on a quote from my favorite professor that I have conveniently posted on my wall.  My real one, not the Facebook one.    (Okay, I’m in a cubicle, so technically it is not a “real” wall.)
Don’t judge the pink flower sticky.
It is a vestige of my predecessor.

I miss being in school, a lot.  What I miss most is taking in new information, adding to my tiny little pile of Known Things.  I recently picked up Karol Wojtyla’s Love and Responsibility to help combat this, but it is a thick text.  Does anyone want to read it with me?

I actually gained a surprising amount of those Known Things from fiction books and making the switch to non-fiction sometimes happens reluctantly.  My latest fiction conquest is Brideshead Revisited.  It has been on my list for years and years and I have put off reading it.  Finally, a Dominican shoved it in my face and Jane (a regular reader who comments under another name) lent it to me, so I buckled down.  And discovered a positively delightful book.  The subject matter and plot are not light, but Waugh uses language so beautifully.

In the realm of beautiful language, I also have to get back into reading poetry.  So much easier when you are in a literary community, such as the English department of a college.  In going through papers from undergrad, I came across loose bits of my creative writing class.  I realized how much I was taking it (see #3) during school.  Help me out -- post a link to your favorite poem in the comment box!

Working in an office has caused me to revive my childhood dream of being a poet in a garret.  If you know of anyone looking for a Poet-in-Residence, let me know!

In keeping with the theme of “I miss school,” one of my friends from undergrad is being ordained to the transitional diaconate in a week and a day.  The Captain told me that we can count this event as we number our weddings of the year.  Please keep the deacon-to-be and his fellow seminarians in your prayers. 
 


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Warsan Shire is a young poet whose work I enjoy quite a bit - it's hard to find a one-stop shop for her stuff, but her Goodreads page offers a sample: http://bit.ly/1hJQBCx
    I think I was turned on to Warsan by Bassey Ikpi, and was turned on to Bassey by a friend - "Apology to my Unborn" still makes me cry: http://bit.ly/1h6dPl7
    More traditional poets: Heaney, Plath, Sexton (no surprises there)

    If I can find a copy of "Love and Responsibility" in a local library, it may be time to try to tackle it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the poems! Heaney & Plath are favorites of mine too.

    I don't know if I can take this Apology to My Unborn...

    ReplyDelete