living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, March 21, 2014

Belated Pi and Other Short Stories



I missed my short story session last week and for this I apologize.  I had long stressful days at work due to a series of Very Important Meetings.  Even if I had time to write, I would not have been able to put words together to communicate more complex ideas than the one post I did manage.

--- 2 ---
Missing last week meant missing Pi Day!  As is tradition, I made a pie and sent pictures to my sisters.  Because what else do you do with Pi Day?
Delicious chocolate mousse pi(e)!

Apparently even when I recovered from the long week, there is a possibility that my words were not coming together well.  It has been pointed out to me (See the passive voice?  It’s lawyer talk for “I don’t want to attribute agency in this sentence!) that in my God Guarantees post, I may have created the impression of marital strife.  If you were worried, never fear!  That is not at all what I meant communicate and I am sorry if I did.

On that note, read this lovely response to Emma’s piece from Simcha Fisher.  Also take a look at the comments.  I normally don’t read blog comments because I can’t dialogue with the commenters -- public online conversations don’t count as dialoguing.  However, her readers are insightful and generally polite and a few of them offer witness to their own marriages. 

Back to the Captain -- he braved the roads on a snow day to get me an expensive new toy, which he had been dangling in front of me for a couple of weeks.  Cycling enthusiasts make trainers that essentially convert a real bike into a stationary one.  Some of the more creative ones even allow the bike to rock back and forth with your motion, as if you were really riding.  This is our creative solution to cold and dark evenings that keep me indoors rather than running.

My basic approach to working out is surprisingly similar to Penny from the Big Bang Theory:





As point four illustrates, the Captain is basically the king of life-hacks.  It comes from having an engineer’s brain and reliable internet access.  Recently he told me about conductive thread, which is used in touchscreen gloves, recommending that I get some.   I am leary of smart phone gloves because clearly they are made for people who want to look cute while showing off their technology, not people whose extremities are incapable of maintaining normal temperatures.  (Actually, none of me is, but that is a different story.)  Instead of buying new, too-thin gloves, I bought some thread and yesterday sewed it into the index finger of my gloves.  Et voilá!  I can now turn the pages of my Kindle or call my sister in freezing temperatures without risking frostbite.
 


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment