living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, March 7, 2014

Short Stories from a Quick Week



I am slightly amazed by how quickly this week has gone by. Having a snow day helped. I am constitutionally suited for four-day work weeks and six hour work days. The two-hour delay was magnificent. The Captain and I used the extra morning time to hash out all the issues involved in the Boy Scout’s stance on homosexuality and women in combat situation. During these discussions I realized the immense temptation of the ad hominem (quite literally) argument. I kept wanting to protest, “But you don’t get it! Everything about you says PRIVILEGE!”
But an argument doesn’t hinge on the demographics of its proponent. Still, I am trying to figure out how to make “the experience of being female” a valid argument.
--- 2 ---
Before the snow, there came a Sunday on which I catalogued all my books.  A friend recommended an app that scans barcodes and allows you to sort books onto virtual shelves.  New favorite game ever.  I still have a good number of books in my parents’ basement, but the ones in our house are neatly sorted.

After the snow came Ash Wednesday. The Captain does Lent better than I do -- he makes more of a point to take advantage of the “extras” parishes offer during Lent. I’m looking forward to spending this Lent with him.
Unrelated to the snow, have I mentioned that I am once again a DC commuter?  I did a brief stint as a motorist and then realized that was not a good choice for my blood pressure.  So now I take the Metro.  Some of the conductors are so happy and upbeat at 7am that I want to give them a prize.  Actually, I would love to have a prize for the best Metro conductor.  The person speaking through the sound system on my train each morning often makes me smile, and sometimes I recognize the voice.  But I don’t know how to let that person know, “Thank you, sir; you just made my morning brighter!”

Also unrelated to the snow is the St. Patrick’s Day Parade that happened on Saturday. For the most part, it was an unremarkable local parade, but then there Storm Troopers in kilts. Because who’s not Irish?

Related more to Storm Troopers than snow, the Captain and I watched Ender’s Game this week. He was surprised to find that the book was written back in the 1980s, since so many of the themes seem peculiarly pertinent to modern warfare. When we looked up the date of the book, I also learned that Orson Scott Card edited it in the 1990s, updating the history of his future to include the collapse of the Soviet Union. I feel a little bit like that’s a kind of cheating.  

I recently added to my cubicle wall of inspiration a quote from my favorite professor: “Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.” Here are some other pieces of said wall:
These all come from the Mag-Poe "Happiness" pack.  I need to bring some of my other Mag-Poe to my cube.

 


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment