living as an embodied spirit in a concupiscible world

Friday, May 9, 2014

A Tidy Lawn, But No Food


So many people are away from the office today, that my normally quiet corner is eerily still.  Do you know what this means?  (Hint: you should check back today for another post.)

--- 2 ---
My garden boxes have yielded their first crop of lettuce today and so I have a home grown salad in my lunch box today. We took some chives and some mint from the garden over the past week as well -- I guess this means that it is spring!

Our lawn also knows that it is spring and has sprung into a bed of chaos that needs a trimming more than my hair.  Looking at it yesterday, I realized that, just as some people feel a need to clean their house before their mothers come, I feel a need for my yard to be in order before my father comes to visit.  My parents are coming for dinner tonight -- and it is a good thing I have a husband to cut the grass while I go shopping, or my parents would likely come to a trimmed lawn and no food.  Because being an “adult” does not always mean that you prioritize properly.

Last weekend, the Captain and I went up to New England to see his family.  We started with a whirlwind tour of Boston with friends such as Triss and LB, including a walk-through of Harvard.  I can’t say I was terribly impressed, but the bookstores were amazing.  There was a tiny little shop that sold only poetry.  We also visited Boston College, which seemed prettier, but we got distracted in the library and did not make it to much of the campus.
LB has a gnome on her porch, which awkwardly has the
same name as her landlord.  This is the trouble with moving gnomes.


After Boston, we made our way to Rhode Island, where his parents are building a house just off the bay.  You can see and smell the water from their front-porch-to-be.  The male-folk had fun being a part of the construction and I enjoyed walking through walls, picturing the dry-wall that would one day make that impossible.
A few hardy bulbs have survived the waves of construction. Note the men in the
background, watching proprietorially as contractors do constructiony things.

A shout-out to everyone graduating this weekend!  I know two men getting master’s degrees after years of hard work and perseverance -- Tommy More and Connor have both made appearances on the blog, so I will honor them by (pseudo)name.  Also my sister is graduating from undergrad and getting ready to hit the big bad Real World.

Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts the Quick Takes linkup, just released a book about her conversion: Something Other Than God.  She asked her linkers (is that a cyberword?) to mention her book, along with her hashtag #SOTG.  Which is a great hashtag, but the prize for that goes to Asher, who posted on Facebook: “Also, I am showing 1776 today in class as a "the test is over" gift to IB kids.#sitdownjohn.”


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment